Repton is the ancient capital of Mercia, and the School, founded in 1557 from a bequest
from Sir John Port of Etwall, was established on the site of a 7th century Anglo-Saxon
Benedictine abbey and latterly a 12th century Augustinian priory.
The School today incorporates many of the original buildings from the estate, namely, the
Guest Chamber and Prior’s Lodging (which as the Old Priory currently houses the School
Library and Common Room), Overton’s Tower, Tithe Barn, and the Arch. The latter is all
that now remains of the Priory’s original gatehouse and which helped inspire the School’s
motto: porta vacat culpa.
Today Repton School is a world class, modern, flourishing community with a clear sense of
purpose and momentum. As a pre-eminent co-educational and boarding and day school,
Repton provides an exceptional broad-based education, blending heritage with the pursuit
of excellence in a 21st century context, offering world class facilities as well as high quality
teaching and pastoral care.